EPCs tell you how energy efficient a home is on a scale of A-G.

The most Energy Efficient homes - which should have the lowest fuel bills - are in band A. The Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) also tells, on a scale of A-G, about the impact the home has on the environment. Homes with better rating should have low impact through Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions.

The average rating of the properties in the UK falls in EPC Bands D-E for both Energy Efficiency and CO2 Emission. The Certificate includes recommendations on ways to improve the home's energy efficiency to save you money and help the environment.
EPCs apply also to commercial buildings and are rated only by Carbon Dioxide emission ratings on a scale of A-G.


Who Requires An Energy Performance Certificate?

If you own a property in England or Wales and want to sell or rent it, as of 21st May 2010 you need an Energy Performance Certificate.

When Selling Your Property
The government passed a legislation that states anyone wishing to sell their property must have ordered or possess an EPC when the property goes on sale. Your estate agent is required to upload this EPC within 28 days of the sale’s commencement date.

When Renting Your Property
If you wish to rent or lease your property you, as the landlord, must ensure that an EPC is available for any potential tenant to look at. 


How is an EPC Inspection carried out?
To order you EPC inspection, you can complete the form on our ‘EPC Quote’ link or phone us direct on +44 20 3488 0085, providing us with details and payment. Consequently, one of our local assessors will contact you within 1 working days of the booking, and make an appointment to visit your property within 2 days of their telephone call.
Information is gathered through a questions and answers form together with the assessor inspecting key items at your property. Once this has been generated the EPC will be email to you.

For any further information, you can contact us on +44 20 3488 0085 or email us at info@eliteimp.co.uk

Domestic EPC

The EPC Explained

In 2007 UK Government introduced a scheme to record how energy efficient and environmental competent your property is. This ensured that the government complied with the Energy Performance of Building Directives (EPBD).

You are no longer allowed to sell or rent your property if you have not ordered or possess an up to date Energy Performance Certificate. They provide the owner or landlord with a record of the level of energy efficiency and CO2 emissions that are present in the building.

What does the EPC contain?

Besides a rating allotted to a certain property, the EPC also contains recommendations on how the energy efficiency of a home or office/business space can be improved to benefit the environment and also help the property owner save money. It also contains information about the assessor of the property, which means it will tell you about the person who has carried out the EPC assessment as well.


An Energy Performance Certificate is valid for 10 years, however, if changes are made within this period, an up to date amended certificate is advised. In order for the highly experienced local assessors to compare buildings of the same type, they have adopted a standard style and method of calculating the level of energy used and the competence of the CO2 emissions in your building.

DEAs and EPCs

As mentioned, the property has to be assessed by someone before it can be given a rating. DEAs are Domestic Energy Assessors who carry out this assessment and produce the certificate. These DEAs are trained in this task and only accredited DEAs are allowed to produce the EPC document. They are members of a government-approved accreditation scheme. In fact, the demand for assessors has led to several jobs being created in the energy assessment field for this occupation. It is important to search for accredited assessors, and always ask for their ID cards when they visit a property.

The Process of Assessment for getting an EPC

To get the EPC, one has to contact an accredited assessor to visit and evaluate a property. After the assessment, the DEA will lodge the request for an EPC on the national register, together with the rating allotted to the particular property. All energy assessors are issued with identity cards which home-owners should ask for before their properties assessment is carried out. 

The important point to note about getting an EPC is to make sure that the person assessing your property is accredited to perform this important task. If a property owner is not satisfied with the assessment carried out, they can request the assessor to carry it out again.